Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Avacado Pie with Tequila Whipped Cream


This falls squarely in the "don't knock it until you've tried it" category.  Because this will most assuredly become your go-to party pie!  And everyone needs a go-to party pie.  I know I'll be making this a lot this summer.  It's easy, quick, refreshing and just really good.


First you're going to have to get past the color.  I took a piece of this to my trainer (because he should have to do cardio too!) and his first question was, "What is it?"  
Me, "Not gonna tell you.  Just try it." 
Sissy skeptical trainer, "Why's it green?"
Me, "Because it is.  TRY it."
Skeptical trainer, "Is it key lime pie?"
Me, "Yep.  Sure is."
Less skeptical trainer, "Ohhh....this is really good.  Doesn't taste like key lime pie."
Me, "It's not.  It's avocado.  So it's healthy."
Happy trainer, "I love it.  Will you make it for our member party?"
Me, "If you promise to tell them it's key lime so they'll eat it."


While the filling of this is soooo good (creamy, citrusy and sweet) the crust (graham crackers and coconut) is the best part.  


Oh wait.  That might not be true.  The TEQUILA WHIPPED CREAM is the best part.  When my friend, Allyson (yes the same one from the Courtesan au Chocolate) insisted I try this recipe from HER friend, I told her she had me at TEQUILA WHIPPED CREAM!!!

I have a minor love affair with really good tequila, and after reading this amazing article about new studies that find tequila aids in weight loss, well logic dictates that TEQUILA WHIPPED CREAM is diet food.  BOOM!


So I did make this for our gym's member party last night and Blake (the trainer) reported that it was a big hit even though I left the tequila out of the whipped cream.  He didn't want anyone drunk flying off the back of a treadmill.  

Thanks to Allyson and her friend, beautyfrosting.com for this fab pie!  Click on the link for the recipe.

A few of my own notes...

1.  I have a commercial Vitamix blender which is pretty damn powerful and it struggled a tad mixing up this filling.  If you don't have a good blender you may want to use a food processor.  That being said, a blender gets this silky smooth.

2.  I left off the toasted coconut topping only because if my audience.  A little bit of coconut goes a long way with them but I'm sure the topping is amazing.

3.  If you're tequila averse (shame on you!) this is great with plain sweetened whipped cream.

4.  Plan ahead......it needs to firm up in the fridge for about 3 hours.







No comments:

Post a Comment