Tuesday, March 8, 2011

TWD - Corniest Corn Muffins


Corniest Corn Muffins........MY PICK!!!!  Yup, that's right, after almost two and a half years it's finally my week to host TWD.  I picked the corn muffins because 1) there aren't a lot of recipes left and 2) corn muffins happen to be one of hubs favorite things.



Confession.....I've never made a decent corn muffin.  I've tried many different recipes but they've always been dry little hockey pucks.  Until now.  These were moist and flavorful and I loved the crunch from the whole kernels of corn.  Hubs promptly ate four of them slathered in butter straight from the oven but these were still great the next day served with some soup.




I've already read a few of the other baker's blogs and there were some great ideas for add in's.....my favorite being the addition of cilantro and chipotle powder.  That's been one of the best things about joining this group....learning from all of the other extremely talented home baker's.  Over the past couple of years you all have given me a confidence in the kitchen that I didn't previously have,  Thank you!!  It's been a total joy.

Here's the recipe:

Corniest Corn Muffins
BAKING  From My Home to Yours
Dorie Greenspan

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
6 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup corn kernels (add up to 1/3 cup more if you'd like) - fresh, frozen or canned (in which case, they should be drained and patted dry)

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.  Alternatively, use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups.  Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg, if you're using it.  In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, egg and yolk together until well blended.  Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, glently but quickly stir to blend.  Don't worry about being thorough  -  the batter will be lumpy, and that's just the way it should be.  Stir in the corn kernels.  Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.  Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

Playing Around:  Corniest Corn and Herb Muffins.  You can add a slightly savory touch to these sweet muffins by incorporating 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary into the batter.  Either stir in the herbs when you mix in the corn kernels or, for a fuller flavor, rub the herbs into the sugar with your fingertips until the sugar is aromatic, then stir the sugar into the bowl with the rest of the dry ingredients.




25 comments:

  1. Thanks for the yummy pick--it was on my short list! But I have loved just about everything from Dories cookbook. What a fun adventure.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your photos are just wonderful. I always am so envious of everyone's creativity with the photos...mine tend to fall into the category of "Been there, done that, here's the proof." lol We loved these muffins, it was a great pick, near the end or not!! Thanks...yours look wonderful. I resisted the urge to smother them in butter (not true with the guys, however) and believe me, they were fine without it, nice and moist and tender from all that buttermilk! Definitely a repeat for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the pick--they were great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick! I love corn muffins and really enjoyed this recipe, especially with the addition of fresh rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Katrina's post about these so I had to pop over to read the recipe. We love corn muffins so I think this was a great pick and I can't wait to try them. (I'm not a TWD baker.)
    I'm also glad I got to stop by here because I really like your blog. LOVE the photo in your header!! Wherever that is, I want to go there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe you have not made decent muffins like this before. Yours look perfect. This was a GREAT pick. We loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, this recipe was a keeper. Thanks for a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pick, Jill - absolutely loved these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There may not have been too many recipe choices left, but you managed to pick one of my all-time favorites! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yipeee for corny muffins and for you picking it! I always like to try new things and these were new! Thank you for hosting this week! Your muffins look great! I think that is sweet you picked a recipe with your husband in mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great pick! your muffins look magazine-worthy! Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy pick! These were so easy to put together. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for a great pick this week! I enjoyed these a lot. Glad your hubby loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful, simple pick! Loved these! I didn't offer any "add ins" like you say - but try creamed corn - makes them very moist! Not that I intended to in the first place. Glad you found a recipe that works for you - beautiful muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a great pick! This is the first recipe I've made that was a hit in the corn muffin department too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious choice. I'm always happy to have another cornbread/corn muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whether or not there are a lot of recipes left, this was a super pick! We loved them. Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You picked a good one-one that I will definitely make again. I am in love with the first picture on your blog...amazing photography skills and corn muffins too-thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tasty pick. LOVE cornbread in any form and these were no exception.

    Look good with that pat of butter!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pick! my household has enjoyed them

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your muffins look so beautiful, but what had me grinning from ear to ear was your comment that you'd never made good corn muffins until these. HOORAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for a delicious pick! you photos are fantastic, and those muffins look so good with a pat of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These were fantastic! Our family loved them -- thanks. I'm filing this away for a regular at meal times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't wait to try it...Ive been looking for cornbread muffin recipes that included real corn and sounded moist so I'll let ya know if they were successful in my oven

    ReplyDelete