Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TWD - All American, All Delicious Apple Pie



Does anything say Fall quite like an apple pie?  I think not!  Dorie's version called for a double crust but as you can see, I went the streusel route.  The crust is my least favorite part of the pie so I just couldn't go there.  I will say, however, that I loved the trick of sprinkling the bottom crust with graham cracker crumbs to keep it from getting soggy.  Totally worked.

I used four different kinds of apples, per Dorie's suggestion, and also threw in two pears because I had a few extras that needed to be used.  I loved the combination.  I also substituted cornstarch for the tapioca called for because that's what I had on hand.

I didn't already have a tried and true family recipe for apple pie so I guess this one will have to do!  It's really delicious!

Check out Emily's site, Sandmuffin, for the recipe.

7 comments:

  1. Great looking pie! I bet the streusel was delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like pie crust just fine, just not on top of my pie. Streusel is definitely the way to go for apple pie. =) That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont' have a 'go to' recipe for apple pie - but I do prefer crumbs to coffeecake streusel/nuts. xoxo Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum..I would love the pears with the apples too! Your pie looks very good...I love the Streusel topping too!!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget