Thursday, May 20, 2010

TWD - Apple-Apple Bread Pudding



I like bread pudding, I really do.  I just don't love it because so many times it tends to be dry and not that flavorful.  Unfortunately, this one fell into that category.  Not so much dry as just not flavorful.  I was serving this to friends so I did a little taste test after it cooled just to make sure.  You know.....you don't want to serve something crappy to your friends.  I thought it needed something else.......but what?

I had some of Jeni's Splendid Honey Vanilla Bean ice cream in the freezer that I knew I was going to use (more about Jeni's tomorrow) but I thought it still needed something else so I made some of David Lebovitz's Rich Caramel Sauce and added a little extra sea salt.  OMG.

So with some fabulous accoutrements this turned into a really great dessert.  I'm not sure I'd make the bread pudding again (sorry, Dorie) but that caramel sauce?  I'm serving that on everything from now on.  And I mean everything!!

Thanks to Elizabeth of Cake or Death for this week's pick.

Here's the recipe for the caramel sauce....

Rich Caramel Sauce
David Lebovitz "Ready for Dessert"

1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt, or more to taste (I used one teaspoon sea salt)

In a large heavy bottomed saucepan or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar begins to caramelize, then turns dark amber in color and begins to foam a bit (it should smell and look like it's just on the verge of burning).  Remove from the heat and immediately add the heavy cream.  Stir until the sauce is smooth, then stir in the vanilla and salt.  Let cool, then taste, and add more salt, if desired.  Serve the sauce warm.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it didn't wow on its own, but your additions sound marvelous. You have some lucky friends! Thanks for baking along!

    ReplyDelete