Monday, November 3, 2008

Cooking Light Night

I gotta come clean right off the bat and say that this is not an original idea....again.  I stole it from Clara at "I heart food 4 thought".  Clara is a fellow Barefoot Blogger and she's a lot more talented and creative than I am, so I stole her idea....."Cooking Light Night".

I, like Clara, subscribe to Cooking Light magazine (and, oh, so maaaaany more) but don't often attempt many of their recipes.  I don't know why.....they usually sound pretty good.  And heaven knows the reduction in calories certainly can't hurt.....might even mean a few less miles on the treadmill.  Anywho, I decided to try at least one recipe a week out of some of the hundreds of past magazines I have laying around.

So I started tonight with "Snapper Tacos with Chipotle Cream".  I need to be eating more fish but don't find a lot of recipes that sound great to me.....I'd much rather have BEEF tacos.  But, these were really good and took about 30 minutes to make.....do I hear Rachel Ray?????

Here's the recipe (I forgot to take any pics....sorry)

Snapper Tacos with Chipotle Cream
from The Best of Cooking Light 4

The fish cooks on top of the vegetables in the same skillet.  Break the fish into chunks to finish the filling.

1/2 cup fat-free sour cream (I have to confess that I used low fat....Whole Foods didn't have fat free, plus I think fat free tastes like cardboard)
1/8 tsp salt
1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced (I like it spicy, so I didn't seed it)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped tomato, divided
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 pound red snapper fillets, skinned (the fish monger at Whole Foods did this for me)
1 tsp grated lime zest
2 tbsp fresh lime juice (1 lime)
4 (8 inch) fat free flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)

Combine sour cream, 1/8 teaspoon salt and chile, and set aside.  Combine 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup tomato, and set aside.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 cup onion, 1 cup tomato, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in cilantro.  Arrange fish over onion mixture in pan, cover and cook 3 minutes.  Turn fish; cover and cook 2 minutes.  Break fish into chunks.  Stir in zest and juice; cook 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Warm tortillas according to package directions.  Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup fish mixture and 1/4 cup reserved onion/tomato mixture; top each serving with 2 tablespoons reserved chipotle cream.  Fold in half or roll up.  Yield: 4 servings (1 taco)

Calories 340 (21% from fat)
Fat 7.8 g
Protein 28.1 g
Carb 38.1 g
Fiber 3.3 g
Chol 56 mg
Iron 2mg
Sodium 896 mg

So I think my first Cooking Light Night was a success, but I was the only one here to judge.  I think Charlotte will try it....she loves fish.....we'll see.  I do know that Mr. B would scarf this down.....he loves anything Mexican.

Stay tuned for more CLN's and thanks again to Clara for the idea!  If you have a free minute check out her blog....she has the most adorable bunnies I've ever seen....bigger than most dogs!!  CUTE!

**UPDATE**  Charlotte loved them....woohoo!!


1 comment:

  1. Very awesome! Another Cooking Light-er to add to my GR! I really need to get back on the CL horse. I've been slacking... PS. I wish I could say that I was a barefoot blogger but I do too many other groups and can't fit that one in my schedule. I am a fellow TWDer though! Looking forward to your next CL night. :)
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete