Tuesday, November 4, 2008

TWD

I'm bringing you along for another ride on the "recipe blogging" train....if this is just too much for you, jump.  Now.

I decided to join the "Tuesdays with Dorie" group.  It's a baking group.  And I'm not much of a baker, so I'm stepping out of the box on this one.  I think I need to learn how to bake something besides Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies....although those damn things are pretty good.  I'm just sayin.

So this is my first week and we started with Rugalach....aaach.  I used to see these when we lived in Germany, but they didn't really look like something I'd like for dessert.....no chocolate.  Then, lo and behold, I read the recipe and there's some choc in there.....holla!!  So I made them.  

I gotta say if all recipes that called for dough were this easy to make, I might bake more often.  This was seriously easy to put together....love the food processor!!  I divided the dough in two like the recipe said, but I did put half of it into the freezer.  I made eight cookies, which will be enough for the two of us to sample.

I didn't follow the filling suggestions exactly.  I substituted cherry preserves for the marmalade and used white chocolate chips and toasted almonds.  I do think I rolled the dough too thin because my fillings were popping out.  Lesson learned for the other half of the dough!

These puppies just came out of the oven and I immediately scarfed down two of them.  MUCH better than I anticipated....the dough is flaky, the preserves make them just sweet enough and the almonds give them a nice crunch.  In the words of Gomer Pyle... "surprise, surprise, surprise"!!    It didn't even matter that they were so ugly that I was embarrassed to take pictures!  I can't wait to  make the other batch....should I use the same fillings, or should I experiment?????

This group has some rules, most of which are ok with me, but there is one that I don't particularly like.....I'm not allowed to post the recipe.  Huh?  I do get the part about wanting people to actually buy the book, but c'mon....I can't post it for the four people that read my blog?  

You can head over to Piggy at Piggy's Cooking Journal to get the recipe and see what the rugalach are supposed to look like.....that's not what mine looked like.  Don't care...they were delish!

If you're interested, the book we're cooking from is "Baking - from my home to yours" by Dorie Greenspan.  It's big and it's good.



No comments:

Post a Comment