Thursday, November 13, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to admit that I screwed up and made this dish last week thinking that's when it was due.  Nope, it was due this week.  Oh well.  

So this weeks assignment was "Herb-Roasted Onions".  Now, I like onions as much as the next gal, but mostly as a flavor enhancer.....not as the feature presentation.  In this dish, the onions are the star and while I didn't hate it....I didn't love it.  My BFF's and official taste testers liked them more than I did.  Donna said they were sweet and pretty good.  Luke and Charlotte each ate them, but didn't really have much to say.  So, all in all, I think you REALLY have to like onions to appreciate this one.  The one person I think would really like this is my father.....it's right up his alley.

Just one other point I'll make about this dish is that you should definitely have some candles handy, cuz this really stinks up the house!!

Here's the recipe:

Herb-Roasted Onions

2 red onions
1 yellow onion
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup live oil
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 F

Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root intact.  Peel the onion.  Stand each onion root end up on a cutting board and cut the onion in wedges through the root.

Place the wedges in a bowl.

For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, mustard, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Slowly whisk in the oilive oil.  Pour the dressing over the onions and toss well. 

With a slotted spoon transfer the onions to a sheet pan, reserving the vinaigrette that remains in the bowl.  Bake the onions for 30-45 minutes, until tender and browned.  Toss the onions once during cooking.  Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the reserved dressing.  Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste and serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment