Wednesday, November 12, 2008

OK, Pop....this one's for you!!

So, I make the thrice weekly telephone call to The Villages...home of a thousand activities per day...to talk to the 'rents, only to have my male 'rent call me out for lack of blog posts.  Damn, Pop.  Do I need to sign you up for a woodworking/pinochle/backgammon class to add to your pickle ball/tennis/golf/swimming/bike riding/wine tasting activities to keep you busy????  He said the little "car flag rant" didn't really count as a viable post.  Hmmmm. Everyone's a critic.....even your father!

So, Pop, park yourself in that big old recliner and read this shizzle.......

First of all...check out this handsome fella.  He finally got groomed today and actually resembles the beautiful Giant Schnauzer he is. 


He's so proud of himself!!!  No more mangy mutt!



++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cooking Light Tonight

It's a two-fer Wednesday!!  Or it's a cheater's Wednesday....depends on your perspective!!  I said earlier this week that I was going to cook at least one recipe from one of my 159 cookbooks per week and this week I combined my "Cooking Light Tonight" event and this other little project.  Since one of my cookbooks is "Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2000" I took advantage!!  Make your own judgements.

I chose the recipe for Potato Frittata on page 307 and it was quite yummy.  I love Frittata's and this one was quite good for a "light" recipe.  A little drier than one that included butter and cream, but still quite good and I'd definitely make it again.  I only took a few minor liberties with this one....one adding no additional calories and one that probably did!  Oh well.



Here's the recipe....

Potato Frittata

3/4 pound baking potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
Cooking Spray
1 1/2 cups vertically sliced red onion
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon paprika (I used sweet pimenton..see note at end)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 large egg whites
3 large eggs
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (I used regular pepper jack cheese for an extra kick!)

Place potato in a saucepan, and cover with water; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender; drain and set aside.

Place a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.   Add onion, and cook 20 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring frequently.  Remove onion from pan, and recoat pan with cooking spray.  Return onion to pan; stir in potato and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

Preheat broiler.

Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, parsley, and next 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk.  Pour over onion mixture; sprinkle with cheese.  Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until slightly set.  Wrap handle of skillet with foil; broil 3 minutes or until eggs are set and cheese melts.  Gently slide frittata onto a platter, and cut into 8 wedges.  Yield 4 servings (2 wedges)

Calories:  213 (30% from fat)
Fat:  7.1 g
Protein:  14.7 g
Carb:  22.2 g
Fiber:  2.2g
Chol:  175mg
Iron:  1.3mg

Note:  Pimenton is smoked paprika and comes in a hot, sweet and bitter-sweet formula and this is definitely something you should have in your spice cabinet.  I got mine at latienda.com.  Check it out.

My favorite taste tester just weighed in on this one and Miss Charlotte says "loved it...it wasn't dry at all Aunt Dilla..."  So there you go....an expert's opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment