Thursday, July 7, 2016

Marinated Tomatoes


Oh hey, y'all.  And by "y'all" I mean all two of you that are left actually following me!  So yeah....6 months no bloggy!  6 months no bloggy passion.  6 months not cooking much that inspired me to tell you about.  Sorry.  



However, I've recently been feeling the "bug", so I'm back.  I've got a few great recipes to tell you about plus we're about to hit the road for a three-week trip to the Rockies to escape the fucking Alabama heat and I know I'll need to post about THAT!


Speaking of the heat.....It's 99 degrees today, and this girl doesn't like to turn on the oven/stove/grill on days like this unless it's absolutely necessary.  So marinated tomatoes for dinner it is....


I saw this as a sub-recipe (is that even a thing?) to a recipe for Grilled Cheese with Marinated Tomatoes in the weekly LATimes food newsletter.  (If you're not subscribed to that, do it.) and while I'll def make the grilled cheese someday, I thought the tomatoes sounded delish to serve by themselves with a big loaf of crusty bread to sop up every last bit of the marinade.


I know, right?  Perfect, simple, sweltering-summer-day dinner.  I could also see adding some bocconcini to this, chopping it up and topping some bruschetta or tossing into some pasta for a summer pasta salad.  The possibilities are endless, I say!!

Here's the recipe:

Marinated Tomatoes

1/2 cup olive oil 
1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley 
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme 
Pinch red pepper flakes, more to taste 
1 teaspoon salt 
Freshly ground black pepper 
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced lengthwise 
10 large basil leaves, very thinly sliced 
2 tablespoons capers, drained and crushed 
2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced 
2 pounds very ripe large tomatoes, cut into ½-inch-thick slices 

In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, parsley, thyme, pepper flakes, salt and several grinds of black pepper. Stir in the onion, basil, capers, and garlic. Spread a little of the marinade on the bottom of a large baking dish. Top with a layer of tomatoes. Spread over a little more marinade, then another layer of tomatoes. Top with the remaining marinade, cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. The marinated tomatoes will keep up to 2 days.
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

1 comment:

  1. marinated tomatoes are something that sounds weird to me but they look nice i will do try them with a combination of white meat probably some tuna ...

    ReplyDelete