Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Warm Black Bean Dip



The NFL kicks off tonight.  While college football will always be my favorite, football is football and I have to admit that I may enjoy a Fall Sunday afternoon just as much as a Fall Saturday afternoon.  Tonight's season opener just happens to feature my (former) favorite Cowboys vs. my (forever) least favorite Giants.  (The latter just might be in direct correlation to the former since they're bitter rivals.)  And I say "former" because I rescinded my fandom early last season after Tony "Oh No" Romo did this against the Jets.   Plus the last time we saw him play the Giants, he was primarily face down in the dirt getting sacked a career-high SIX TIMES!  

The good news is that I've been awake for no apparent reason since 1:00am this morning which means I'll most likely be passed out on the couch by about 6:30 tonight and won't have to witness another beatdown.   But if you're planning on watching and need a something delicious to munch on, I suggest you try out this Black Bean Dip.



I found the recipe over at One Perfect Bite and tested it out to see if it was gameday worthy a few weeks ago.  It is.  I'll warn you, however, it's a tad spicy, which is never a problem around here but if you like things a little on the milder side, forgo a little of the chipotles or the additional adobo.  I served this with tortilla chips, but next time I think I'll use the large Frito's because they're sturdier than the tortilla chips.  But you use whatever floats your boat!

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients: 
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + more for baking dish 
2 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into medium dice 
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided use 
1 large yellow onion, finely diced 
3 large cloves garlic, minced 
1 tablespoon chili powder 
2 (15.5-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained well 
2 canned chipotles in adobo, minced (about 1 tablespoon), plus 3 tablespoons adobo sauce from can 
1 to 3 tablespoons cider vinegar 
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (if frozen, thaw first) 
1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese 
1-1/2 cups (6 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese 
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
Freshly ground black pepper 
Tortilla chips for serving 

 Directions: 
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish with oil and line a baking sheet with foil. Set the tomatoes in a colander over the sink and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. 

2) Heat oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Reduce heat to medium, add onion, sprinkle with reserved 1 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half of black beans, chipotles and adobo sauce, and 3/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Cook until liquid reduces by about half, 2 to 3 minutes. 

3) Transfer bean mixture to a food processor, add vinegar (I used only 1 tablespoon), and process until smooth. Let cool for a couple of minutes and then transfer to a large bowl. Add rest of beans, tomatoes, corn, half of each of cheeses, and 1/2 cup of cilantro. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. 

4) Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet (to catch drips) until cheese melts and browns around edges, about 15 minutes (longer if refrigerated). Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve with warm tortilla chips for dipping. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.



And if I wake up tomorrow morning and find out Romo blew another one, I'll just put this little video on repeat and remember I still have my Buckeyes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment