Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tomato Watermelon Salad



Before I get to this amazingly refreshing summer salad, I want to say congratulations to my beautiful niece, Annie.  We spent last weekend in Ohio attending her graduation from Otterbein University with a degree in Equine Science.  I've mentioned her obsession love of all things horse before here.  So now, she's out in the big world trying to find someplace to spend the rest of her life smelling like a combination of hay, leather, sweat and poo!  She loves it and we love her!  So proud of you, Nene!!




I also got to spend a lot of time with my two favorite little people!




Have you ever?


  


 I made this salad before we left last week and couldn't stop eating it.  It's everything a summer salad should be.....fresh, curnchy, tangy and completely satisfying.  This would be a perfect addition to you upcoming July 4th celebration.

Here's the recipe:

Tomato Watermelon Salad
Food52.com
Serves 8

5 cups watermelon, cubed (I used a small seedless watermelon)
1 1/2 lbs heirloom tomatoes, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 small Vidalia onion (or other sweet onion) sliced thin
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix tomatoes, watermelon, salt and sugar in bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.  (I mixed mine in a colander set over a large bowl.)  Drain off any liquid.  Stir in onion, vinegar and olive oil.  Cover and chill for 2 hours.  Sprinkle with pepper and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment