Sunday, October 3, 2010

Roasted Vegetable Soup with Brioche Croutons


I mentioned in my last post that I was heading to France in the next couple of days.  I was just starting to get excited about the trip when the State Department issues a travel advisory for Americans traveling in European cities; specifically transportation hubs and tourist sites!  Well, let's see.....in order to get there I have to arrive into a "transportation hub" and I am a tourist, so......

Now aside from the obvious reasons for hoping nothing tragic happens, I happened to be in Europe during the 9-11 attacks and I vividly remember all of the chaos involved with traveling....rearranging flights for over a week, securing hotel rooms, etc. etc.  So, needless to say, I'm still excited about my trip, but not AS excited as I was a few days ago.  It's always something, isn't it?

Anyhoo....let's talk about this soup.  One day last week, I had roasted a whole beef tenderloin along with some root vegetables.....potatoes, butternut squash and turnips.....in the wood-fired oven and I had tons of veggies left over.  The only thing I had added to the pan was some olive oil, salt, pepper, and some fresh rosemary but the veggies were so beautifully caramelized and tasty that I did not want to throw them out.  




Soup sounded like the perfect solution so I went to a sure thing for a recipe.....Ina.  For some reason the Barefoot Bloggers group has taken a sabbatical for the summer and I was having serious Ina withdrawal!! (Good news is BB is back starting this month!).  I found a simple solution in Barefoot Contessa Family Style.  Puree the veggies along with some homemade (best, but purchased is fine too) chicken stock, heat it up and you have a delicious soup.




And the brioche croutons are a perfect addition.  Trim the crusts from a brioche loaf, cube, toss with salt/pepper/olive oil and toast in the oven until crispy.  Yummy.

Deliciously easy way to use up some leftovers!  How easy is that!!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment