Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day said with BB Coconut Cupcakes

First and foremost, Happy Valentines Day to my Valentine!

I said "I love you, man" with Ina's Coconut Cupcakes. He said "I love you, woman" by eating two large and three mini's as fast as I could frost them.



Here's where I show my amazing prowess in the kitchen by admitting that the "coconut" part of the cupcakes was, well, lacking you might say. I, genius baker, forgot to put the coconut in the batter. I didn't realize this until I had filled 12 regular size and 10 kabillion mini size cups with the batter and thought, "what the hell makes these coconut......just the frosting?" So I re-read the ingredient list again and oopsy......was supposed to fold 14 oz of coconut into the batter before filling cups. Too late.

I can't imagine how decadent these are made correctly because they're freaking amazing screwed up! It's just a great basic batter. Personally, I think the addition of the almond extract in both the batter and the frosting is why I love them so much. Such great flavor.

And if you happen to be in the Birmingham area and would like to try one, I have them coming out my ears. Halve the recipe unless you have an army to feed. I hope my skinny tennis team likes coconut!!

Here's the recipe:

Coconut Cupcakes
1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

Ingredients:

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut


For the frosting:

1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.

Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

Thanks to Jamie of Jamie's Green Kitchen for this week's pick. Fabulous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment