Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chicken Salad and Junk

I promise I'll get to this amazing Chicken Salad in a minute but I'm still trying to recover from last night's Olympics. Admittedly, I haven't been watching much of these games. I'm just not that into winter sports, but hubs channel flipped over last night to watch Apolo Anton Oh-yes skate. Which was fine. Until they switched over to Men's Bobsledding.

While there's nothing about a man in a "form" fitting lycra body suit that turns me on (in the least), I can handle a speed skater in one......at least these dudes are in shape.



But when I have to look at John Belushi and Chris Farley reincarnated into an Olympic Bobsledding team I draw the line. Men with figures like NFL lineman SHOULD NOT WEAR LYCRA!!! I've got to live with that image burned onto my retinas for a lifetime. And for the love of all things optical (?), boys....TUCK YOUR JUNK.... puhleeeze. Or wear a cup. Or something???? It's bad enough I have to see your huge belly hanging out, but I've got to look at THAT too?

Jeeesh.

So, all I'm asking is for Nike or Ralph Lauren or Omar's Tent and Awning to please, please, please design something a little less "form" fitting for these poor dudes. You've got a whole four years to get this done.

Thank you.

Now....for this Chicken Salad. I've made this recipe in some variation for quite a while. I found it over at Smitten Kitchen (who adapted it from Gourmet) and have adapted it to fit my tastes and more importantly, what I have in my pantry at the time!!

I love the combination of the crunchy walnuts (or pecans), sweet dried cranberries (or cherries) and tangy dressing. And it's a perfect use for my weekly rotisserie chicken (or leftover chicken breasts).

I know everyone has their own favorite chicken salad recipe, but if you're looking for something easy and different, try this one!

Oh and go USA Hockey. Beat Canada!!! (At least hockey players don't wear lycra!)



Cranberry-Walnut Chicken Salad
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen who adapted it quite loosely from Gourmet!

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded and meat removed from bone and cubed into bite size pieces
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 celery rib, diced into small bits
1 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1 cup chopped, dried cranberries
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, if you have it, or champagne or white wine vinegar works well, too
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combined the chicken, walnuts, celery, cranberries into large bowl

Combined the mayo, mustard, vinegar, and shallots in another bowl. Stir together well and pour as much as you need to coat chicken mixture. I don't always use it all depending on how much chicken I have. I don't like it overdressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment