Saturday, October 3, 2009

My "Go-To" Football Party Recipe


I think I've mentioned before that college football season is my favorite of all the seasons. Even though I'm an avid Big Ten fan and live in the heart of truly obnoxious SEC country. Seriously. Obnoxious. Hollier-than-thou. In-your-face. Arrogant.

{slapping myself in the face} Sorry. I get worked up about these people.


But they're my friends and most of the time, I love them. Mainly because they have great football parties. Even if I do have to watch an SEC team (hopefully lose). Did I say that out loud?

Anyhoo....everyone is usually asked to bring something and I'm usually asked to bring my Stromboli/Calzone/Pizza thingy. No one every knows what to call it. They just know they like it and it's always the first thing gone.

If they only knew how easy it is. Well, I guess now they will.


It all starts with frozen bread dough. Bridgeford brand is my favorite. Use whatever you can find, but I highly recommend using frozen bread dough and not pizza dough. I've used both and it's really much better with the bread dough. I don't know why and I'm sure someone is going to tell me that there is absolutely no difference between the two and that I'm a complete doofus. All of that may be true, but use the bread dough anyway. I'm just sayin.

Put the dough in a well oiled bowl and make sure to coat the dough thoroughly with the oil. Put it in a fairly warm place with a towel over it and let it rise. I usually take mine out of the freezer first thing in the morning so it's ready in time for dinner....at least six hours.


Once it's nice and large, take it out of the bowl and spread it out. I put mine on a cookie sheet and spread it out to the edges of the sheet.

Then line it with pepperoni (preferably the deli-style pepperoni)


I always have to buy extra because I end up eating every other piece. Looooove pepperoni!


Next comes slices of provolone cheese.


Yes that's it. Now start rolling it up, making sure to tuck in the ends as you roll. You don't want anything sneaking out while it's baking!


Keep rolling.


I line the top piece of a double broiler pan with foil and spray it liberally with non-stick spray. I like easy clean-up.

Brush the tops with egg whites and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Then pop them into a 400 degree oven until they're browned up to your liking. Mine usually take about 20-25 minutes.



If I'm taking them to a party I don't slice them until I get there. They're great on their own, or served with a side of your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.



I've experimented over the years with the fillings....I've tried subbing sausage, changine the provolone to mozzarella, sauteed veggies, etc.....but I always come back to simple pepperoni and provolone. Feel free to put your own spin on it.

This recipe and my love of all things Buckeye was passed to me from my mama, who also has to endure SEC fans. Sucks, doesn't it, Mom?? If it weren't for the great weather down here, I'd probably head back North! Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment