Wednesday, June 3, 2009

TWD - Cinnamon Squares

Like every other TWD baker, I get really excited around the first of the month and obsessively check the website for the list of the new recipes wondering what Dorie masterpiece I can screw up this month!

I was pretty sure that I could handle June's first recipe, Cinnamon Squares, chosen by Tracey of "Tracey's Culinary Adventures".  I mean, who hasn't made a coffee cake at least once in their lifetime??



Then I read the recipe and figured out that this was not your traditional coffee cake.   It had a chocolate frosting which I have to admit just didn't sound to tasty.  Now a streusel topping?  That's good eats!

And I seriously considered changing the topping but after reading all of the comments I was still on the fence.  Those that had already baked this highly recommended the chocolate topping.


I still wasn't sure.  I waited until this came out of the oven and actually tasted a bite before making the frosting.  It was good, but definitely needed something more, so I bit the bullet.

You need to make the frosting.

I went the "playing around" route with this one and made the cappuccino version, but I think this one's a winner either way.  

Now, I just need to find someone to eat the rest of it.  

PS....be sure to check back next week for the recipe I'm sure to screw up....Dorie's Perfect Party Cake.  

2 comments:

  1. Your Cinnamon Square cake looks beautiful! It's nice to have a sweeter variation of the traditional coffee cake - either way it's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for baking with me this week! Your squares look awesome - the frosting is so shiny and gorgeous! I'm totally with you - the hardest part of baking is finding people to take all of the treats off of my hands!

    ReplyDelete