Sunday, April 26, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Break all the Rules

This week's (well, technically last week's...whatev) BB recipe was Croque Monseiur and was chosen by Kathy of All Foods Considered.  I paid absolutely no attention to Kathy.  It's not personal.  I just hate Croque Monseiur.  And I've tried the real thing in Paris.   Didn't like it there either.   So, I didn't make Croque Monseiur.

Another BB choice was Lobster Cobb Salad Rolls.  This was one of those "extra" challenges.  We were supposed to make an Ina recipe on a budget.  I don't do budgets.  Sorry.  Don't like them.  So, needless to say, I didn't follow any of the rules this week.  Let's count how many I ignored:

1.  Did not make the assigned recipe
2.  Did not post the not assigned recipe on time (huh?)
3.  Participated in a completely voluntary challenge and chose not to follow the rules.
4.  Didn't even follow the recipe correctly for the completely voluntary challenge.

You may see me getting kicked out of Barefoot Bloggers in the near future.




And in addition to all that, I took a crappy picture!

This salad was really much better than it looks.  The only thing I'll change the next time I make this (and I will) is to not add any additional salt.  Between the bacon and the blue cheese it's quite salty enough.

I made this for my chief taste tester before a night of Idol watching.....in which my least favorite contestant FINALLY got eliminated....Lil.  I mean suriously....who IS she as an artist???  I have no idea what that means, but I think I sound so "Simon" when I say it.  Anyhoo...we both loved the salad.

As you can see, I chose not to put the salad into a roll.  Hey....wait a minute....um, there's my "on a budget" requirement.  Hooty Hoo.   Forget item #4 up there in my list of transgressions!  So there.



Here's the recipe:


Lobster Cobb Salad Rolls
2005, Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved
Show: Barefoot ContessaEpisode: Lunch in a Box

Ingredients

For the vinaigrette:
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
5 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


For the salad:
2 ripe Hass avocados
1 lemon, juiced
1 bunch arugula, washed and spun dry
1 1/2 pounds cooked lobster meat, cut in 3/4-inch dice
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound lean bacon, fried and crumbled
3/4 cup crumbled English Stilton, or other crumbly blue cheese
8 hot dog rolls


Directions
For the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.

For the salad, cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and peel. Cut into 3/4-inch dice and toss with the lemon juice. If the arugula leaves are large, cut them in half crosswise.

Put the lobster and tomatoes in a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and toss with enough vinaigrette to moisten. Add the diced avocados, crumbled bacon, blue cheese, and arugula and toss again. Fill the hot dog rolls with the salad. Serve at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment