Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cooking Light Night


Just to be clear....this is not actually a "Cooking Light" magazine cooking light night, but more of an "Eating Well" magazine cooking light night.  Understand?  I thought not, but it doesn't really matter.  

Because where ever it came from, this recipe is delicious.  As in I couldn't stop eating it delicious.  And I rarely ever feel that way about "light" recipes.

I love gnocchi and if it's on the menu and an Italian restaurant, I'll  likely order it.  But I don't ever remember making it at home.  So, when I saw this recipe in the Feb., 09 Eating Well, it looked like something I'd really like and also easy to make.  Also, I thought it might actually be something Charlotte would eat.

It's Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans and it starts with a package of shelf-stable gnocchi which I could only assume meant vacuum-packed.  I got mine at Fresh Market.


Start by sauteeing the gnocchi in a little olive oil until it starts to brown and soften.



Remove it from the pan and add a little more olive oil and the onions.  Saute the onions for a few minutes then add the garlic and water.  Cover and cook until the onion is soft.



Add the chard (I used spinach) and cook until it starts to wilt.



Stir in the tomatoes, white beans and pepper and bring to a simmer.


Add the gnocchi  back in along with both cheeses (I used the small balls of fresh mozzarella and grated fresh parmesan)  Cover and cook until the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbling.


Unfortunately, that's the last picture I got.  It was gone soon after that!  Charlotte and I both loved it and it's something I'll absolutely make for Mr. B.....although to his I'll probably throw in some red pepper flakes for a little kick.  Miss C does not like "kick".

Here's the recipe:

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard and White Beans
Eating Well magazine, February 2009

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 16oz package shelf-stable gnocchi
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
6 cups chopped chard leaves (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
1 15oz can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings (I used plain diced tomatoes and added a tablespoon each chopped fresh oregano and thyme)
1 15oz can white beans (cannellini), rinsed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I used fresh)
1/4 cup fine shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl.

Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2 minutes.  Stir in garlic and water.  Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes.  Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer.  Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan.  Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Per serving:
Calories:  325
Fat:  7g
Cholesterol:  8g
Carbs:  55g
Protein:  14g
Fiber:  6g
Sodium:  616mg
Potassium:  360mg


No comments:

Post a Comment