Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Poor Raffie

Rafter's got a urinary tract infection.  And, I'm afraid that's not all.  The poor guy has kind of been down in the dumps for about the past week.  Plus, he's been shedding profusely....and Giant Schnauzers don't shed.  So off we went to donate a couple of hundred dollars to Riverview Animal Clinic in hopes of finding out the problem.  The first tests came back with protein in the urine....which explained the copious amounts of water he's been drinking, but doesn't really explain the shedding issue, so I asked that they do a complete series of blood work including testing his thyroid.  Giants sometimes have a history of thyroid issues.  Those test aren't back for a day or two, so I'm still worried about that.  The vet seems to think that the shedding could be from a change of shampoo.  I couldn't answer that, since I'm not the one that bathes him, but I kind of doubt it.  Anyway, Dr. Allison sent us home with a prescription to attack the UTI and some fatty acid pills to help with the shedding.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment