Saturday, March 22, 2014

Friday Faves

I was committed to getting this posted yesterday but once again got distracted.....by basketball, mani/pedi's, dog snatching and a niece.  And speaking of basketball, Warren Buffett's billion is safe from me!  Thanks a lot DUKE!!

Better late than never.....



Favorite Eats

I found this in one of my new favorite cookbooks, The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook (see below) and was immediately drawn to it for, well first, the ingredients because, duh and second, the simplicity (Yes, mother, I know I slaughtered the punctuating of that sentence.).  Charlotte Rebecca and Anne Elizabeth.....this one is for you two.


It requires one pan, one bowl and some smashing of a few cookies.


Low risk.  High reward.



I took the pics of this while it was still a little warm so the chocolate was still a little gooey, but once cooled to room temp, these set up perfectly to cut into nice little bars.


Here's the recipe

Hello Dollies
The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Dessert Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups gingersnap crumbs (I ground them up in my food process or but a ziplock baggie and a rolling pin work just as well)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sweetened cream of coconut (not coconut milk or coconut cream) or sweetened condensed milk (I used the latter)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 deg F

In a bowl, combine the gingersnap crumbs and butter.  Press the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.  Scatter the chocolate chips over the crust.  Top with the coconut and then the pecans.  Pour the cream of coconut (or sweetened condensed milk) over the top.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and set,  Cool in the pan on a wire rack.  Cut into squares.

They'll keep for about a week in the refrigerator.




Favorite Cookbooks




I'm soooo late to this party.  This book has been raved about all over the internet for a few years, but a vegetable cookbook just didn't interest me.  I finally gave in and ordered it and proceeded to dogear practically every single page.

saffron tagliatelle with spiced butter, cucumber salad with smashed garlic and ginger, stuffed portobello with melting taleggio, caramelized fennel with goat cheese



In addition to the gem featured above, this is pure old school with so many things I can't wait to try

Pistachio-chip ice cream, cinnamon bun bundt cake, pancake cake with maple cream frosting, poached pears stuffed with goat cheese


Approachable, James Beard award winning, New Orleans cuisine....and the first chapter is cocktails.  My kind of book!

Flora-Bama rum punch, Uruguayan spicy baked cheese, black pepper biscuits with country ham and hot mustard sauce, beef short rib sugo, banana pudding with moonshine whipped cream



I've vowed to become a better pie baker in 2014

avocado cream pie, mint julep cream pie, spiced fig pie, Elvis pie


Favorite Tunes





Favorite Links


A young girl who's best friends with her bulldog.  Your daily dose of way too cute!

Your local Starbucks for happy hour??

Beer flavored jelly beans.

Parent's perfect lip synch to Frozen song.  Watch the little girl in the back seat who could not care less!

The only fashion app worth getting.....a shopable Pinterest!  (Charbecca, this is for you!)

Stinky candles?

This mother/daughter instagram account.

The most awkward things ever!  Made me laugh.

Why we rescue.  First person stories of people and their rescue pets.

Ethan explains cockblocking to his grandfather!

And I'll be trying this today while March Madness plays in the background.  I'll post my results next week!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment