Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Chocolate Bourbon Balls

I have to be completely upfront about Valentine's Day.  It's really not much of a thing around my house.  Ever since I realized that I wasn't going to be able to bully Matt Furer into being my valentine in the fourth grade, I've pretty much been soured on the whole holiday.  And after 24 years of marriage, I'm probably not going to make a big deal about it this year.


The fact that I made bourbon balls pretty much says it all.  Hubs is NOT a bourbon drinker.  And I wasn't a bourbon drinker.  Until I discover this Knob Creek Smoked Maple bourbon.  NOW I'm a bourbon drinker.  I've sipped this stuff neat, added just a hint to my tea when I felt a cold coming on, put it in caramel sauce and now balls.  I'll be checking into Betty Ford on Friday instead of celebrating V-day!



Because these have chocolate in them, I'm pretty sure hubs is going to love them.  They're quite addictive....just the right amount of sweet with a little crunch and a nice boozy finish.  


And they couldn't be more simple.  It took me all of fifteen minutes from start to finish make all 50 tablespoon size balls.  If Knob Creek isn't your thing, make them with your favorite!  Your Valentine will love them.



Chocolate Bourbon Balls
Mast Brothers Chocolate

Yield approx. 50 balls (depending on size)

(The Mast Brothers recommend testing the bourbon extensively for flavor before, during and after preparation.  I concur.)

Ingredients:
4 cups Vanilla Wafers
1 cup Pecans
1 cup Confectioners' Sugar
1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup bourbon

Directions:
Mix cookies, pecans, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, and cocoa powder in a food processor until finely ground.  Add bourbon and combine until mixture comes together.  Roll mixture into small balls.  (I used a tablespoon sized ice cream scoop and them rolled them between my palms.)  Roll in or sprinkle in remaining confectioners' sugar to coat.  

My note:  I'm storing mine in the freezer because I prefer frozen balls (err) but you can keep these at room temp or refrigerated also.  They just get better with time.


No comments:

Post a Comment