Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Favorite Music from 2013

If your favorite music from this past year includes Yeezus and JT,  you're probably not gonna fall in love with mine, but maybe you'll find someone new to listen to in 2014.


In alphabetical order…..

You may think you don't know Beth Hart's music, but I'd put money down that you remember this song.  I love love love her bluesy voice.  Also check out her collaboration with blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa…..it's a CD of covers entitled Seesaw.



Favorite track "The Ugliest House on the Block"


This CD was actually released in their home country of Australia in 2011 but didn't hit US soil until this year.  You may recognize Love Letter from this Heineken commercial.  


Favorite Track "Aeroplane"


This should be the soundtrack to one of those old spaghetti western movies I watched as a kid.  It's kind of dry and dusty and dark…..but in a good way!!  I was a little taken aback when I read that they were based in Nashville, but I guess Nashville is much more than country music these days.


Favorite Track "Cold October"


I first became obsessed with Gin Wigmore after this Lowe's commercial. and subsequently downloaded all of her shit!  She's from New Zealand so this was actually released there in 2011 and here this year (WHY does it take that long??) .  She sounds like a combination of Macy Gray and Amy Winehouse and if this doesn't make you dance around your kitchen, you must be dead.


Favorite Track "Black Sheep"

The apple didn't fall far……Hank's granddaughter and Hank Jr's little girl can sing.  But I wouldn't classify her as "country".  I've listened to this a thousand times and I'm still not sick of it…..


Favorite Track "Waiting on June"


I've been a fan of Jason from his time with the Drive By Truckers then with his own band The 400 Unit and now this solo album.  A big fan.


Favorite Track "Super 8"


I'm not a huge country music fan, but the writing on this is so damn much fun it's hard to resist.  Plus I like her voice.


Favorite Tracks "Merry Go Round" and "Blowin' Smoke"

If you're a fan of Mumford and Sons and The Civil Wars, you're going to want to check this out.


Favorite Tracks….Every.  Damn.  One.


As you can see, my music tendencies lean towards the folk and blues genres.  Max Gomez, to me, is a little of both.  


Favorite Tracks "Ball and Chain" and "What it Means"


I heard these two sing during the Showtime documentary/concert Another Day, Another TIme featuring the music from the movie "Inside Llewyn Davis", (which if you haven't seen, you need to do so NOW….the documentary, not the movie because that doesn't hit theaters until tomorrow!  But you'll probably need to see that, also)  I digress.  This is music to sip your Sunday morning coffee.  Mucho mello with Simon and Garfunkel harmonies.


Favorite Track "The Ash & Clay"


I'm assuming this duo got their name from the fact that it's a girl and a guy?  Get it….MS MR.  Ok, so if you like Florence and the Machine, I think you'll like this.  


Favorite Track "Bones"


HUGE fan.  That's all.

Favorite Tracks "Feel Again", "Burning Bridges" and "Life in Color"


I CANNOT wait to see this movie.  It's the Coen Brothers with music produced by T Bone Burnett.  Need I say more?


Favorite Tracks "Fare Thee Well" (the one with Marcus Mumford harmonizing)


Yeah this is pure country, so I apologize,  but this played constantly at the pool this summer, so it reminds me of sun and friends and family and maybe tequila!!


Favorite Tracks "For the Life of Me", "Just Feels Good", and "Testing the Water"


I really miss Amy Winehouse.  Valerie June doesn't sound like Amy but she's that perfect mix of folk, blues, and soul that, well, feeds my soul!!

Favorite Track "Workin' Woman Blues"



No comments:

Post a Comment