Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie



I posted a picture of this on instagram yesterday afternoon along with the hashtag #healthy, and got an immediate reaction.  My niece texted me that she "had to have the recipe NOW"and also a Facebook friend asked for the recipe.  The funniest comment, however, was "I love how you can put 'pie' and 'healthy' in the same sentence."


But that's exactly what this is (pumpkin is rich in vitamin A)….plus delicious.  This shit is pumpkin pie in a glass.  Without the crap like the sweetened condensed milk and the crust!  When I serve the rest of the family their pie for dessert at Thanksgiving, I'll just make myself one of these and laugh at the rest of them for eating all those unnecessary calories.  Score!

I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a tablespoon of chia seeds to mine to get some extra protein, omega 3's and fiber, but if you're not into those things, skip em!

Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
adapted from Vegetarian Times

Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or your milk of choice)
1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 tbsp graham cracker crumbs
1 frozen banana, cut into chunks
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
1 tbsp of honey (I don't think it needs extra sweetness so I don't add this, but you're palate may tell you differently!)

Put into blender and blend.  Pour into glass and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment