Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fourth of July and Sweet Potato Fries.....



I hope everyone's Fourth is starting off better than mine.   Yesterday morning I received an weather alert on my phone indicating Birmingham was in a flash flood watch UNTIL SATURDAY MORNING.  Ugh.  So no cooking out or raucous pool parties at Casa Buker this weekend.  And THEN I had to watch uber weirdo Marion Bartoli win her semi-final match this morning which means I'll have to watch  her and her psycho antics in the final on Saturday.  I'm going to have to go buy more Champagne to get through that.  Upside!


I made these sweet potato fries last weekend for a cookout with friends (before the 40 days and 40 nights of rain) and they were a big hit.  Hubs is one of those guys when given the choice between regular fries and sweet potato fries, he goes sweet every time, so I knew he'd like these.

I like to use a mandoline to slice the potatoes because I'm lazy I like them thin a crispy, but you could easily slice them into steak fries if that floats your boat.  It doesn't really matter because the accoutrements are the stars here.  Sprinkle the fries with the basil salt fresh out of the oven while they're still hot and then serve with the garlic mayo for dipping.  Delish!


Click here for the Sweet Potato Fries with Basil Salt and Garlic Mayo recipe.

And if the weather at your house is like mine and you're stuck inside, here are a few links to pass the time.......



I came across these yesterday in the local vendors section at Whole Foods and was instantly intrigued.  Amelia's Spicing Pecans are based in Ft. Deposit, AL and they come in four flavors....coffee, cinnamon, hot and spicy, and herb.  I used the cinnamon in this pancake recipe for Hubs this morning and they were delicious.  I can't wait to try them all.

This graphic of The Most Academically and Athletically Dominate Colleges in America was interesting.  And the Big 10 beat the SEC.  Just sayin.

Adorable Guinea Pig


We're in the prime of peach season around here and this sangria sounds so refreshing.


This is the second time in two days I've heard the term Goldberg machine....last night watching an episode of America's Got Talent and now this Beneful ad with puppies.  We've all seen these, but did you know they were called Goldberg machines?

For those times when you finish a great book and immediately want to read something similar.

I ordered these popsicle molds and can't wait to try them out.  You can always count on Pinterest for inspiration.

And lastly....I watched the inaugural episode of Ray Donovan last night and loved it.  It's a much grittier version of Scandal with an extremely creepy Jon Voight.  Liev Schreiber, on the other hand, is fabulous.  Check it out.

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July everyone and please keep your pets safe and sound inside away from the fireworks.  It's very stressful for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment