Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Greek Pasta


We have "garbage pasta" night at least once a week around here.  Not a very appetizing name, right?  I'm not sure why I started calling it that because it's not like I get shit out of the garbage, add some pasta and call it dinner.  No.  It happens either when I haven't been to the grocery story in a few days (and am too lazy to go before dinner) or there are leftover bits and pieces from several different dinners that need to be used up.  There is always something in your fridge that can be made into a pasta dish.


This particular night was one of those lazy nights, so I looked around the kitchen and found a few tomatoes on the counter and a package of spinach and a container of crumbled feta in the fridge.  Perfect.  I boiled a box of whole wheat corkscrew pasta, chopped the tomatoes and tossed those into a bowl with the feta.  I snipped some fresh oregano from the garden and added that to the mix, along with the juice from 1/2 a lemon (I always have lemons and limes because you need to buy limes for the Corona and the lemons are always right next to the limes, so......)  When the pasta is ready, I drain it and immediately put it back into the pan along with the fresh spinach.  Add a few tablespoons of olive oil and toss until the heat from the pasta starts to wilt the spinach.  Add the pasta and spinach to the tomato mix and season to taste with sat, pepper and red pepper flakes for a little kick.  Toss it all together and call it dinner.  But you might not want to call it "garbage pasta" in front of your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment