Wednesday, April 6, 2011

TWD - Coffee Ice Cream Tart



Who doesn't love ice cream pie?  I remember when my step-son was little, he always picked a ice cream cake/pie from Baskin and Robbins for his birthday treat.  (Is B&R even still around?)  It's also a favorite of the other men in my life....hubs, my dad, and my nephew.   I'm really surprised no one has picked this recipe up until now, so a big thanks to Jessica of Domestic Deep Thought.  

This was a hit here.  I'll even admit to trying a small piece and I have to say that the crust was my favorite part.  I've read where a lot of the other bakers had problems with the crust becoming impenetrable after it was frozen, but I didn't have that problem for some reason.    And I loved the almond/coffee combination (even though I was a tad heavy handed with the almond extract which ended up overpowering the coffee....totally my fault).  I read where Jessica said it reminded her of dipping an almond biscotti into a hot cup of coffee.  Exactly!!  I topped mine with crushed chocolate covered espresso beans.  Really yummy.


I can see using this crust for a ton of different flavors of homemade ice cream this summer.  Check out Jessica's blog for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment