Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chunky Peach Ice Cream


In October, hubs and I are heading to the Provence region of France for a ten day wine and food indulgence with some dear friends.  Needless to say, I'm a little excited so I've been on a mission to cook as many of Patricia Well's Provencal recipes as I can fit in before then.  This little gem comes from her "At Home in Provence" book.  From what I've learned so far, Provencal cooking is all about taking advantage of simple ingredients at their freshest along with simple and easy preparation.

This ice cream is a perfect example of that....simply peaches, sugar and cream (and a little lemon juice).  Absolutely no custard making anywhere!  I love homemade ice cream but I HATE making custard so I knew I was going to love this.

Peach season in Alabama is starting to wind down but for those of you a little further North, go get yourself a basket of peaches and make this.  And if you don't have an ice cream maker at home, don't let that scare you away from making this.  Click here and get busy!

Chunky Peach Ice Cream
Patricia Wells at Home in Provence
Makes 1 quart

2 pounds ripe peaches (6 to 8)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream

(I never boil my peaches to peel them.  If they're nice a ripe it's totally not necessary, but if they're a little firm you may need to.)

In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the peaches for several seconds.  Transfer to a colander to drain.  Rinse quickly with cold water to stop the cooking and make the fruit easier to peel.  Peel, halve and pit the peaches.  Place peach halves in a bowl and crush them with your hands until no large clumps remain; do not puree.  You should have about 4 cups of pulp.  Add the lemon juice and sugar, and stir to blend and dissolve the sugar.  Taste for sweetness.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, several hours or overnight.

When the peach mixture is thoroughly chilled, stir in the heavy cream.  Transfer to an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment