Wednesday, June 9, 2010

TWD - Tender Shortcakes


When I read that The Tortefeasor had picked Dorie's Tender Shortcakes for this week it immediately conjured up thoughts of Summer.  I can remember going to the strawberry patch as a child and after we'd picked our berries and headed home I knew that we'd either have strawberry pie or strawberry shortcake for dessert that night.  My brother was the pie fan but I was definitely a shortcake girl.....even if they were from a box of Bisquick!!  Loved them.

Sorry Mom, but Dorie's version is a hint better than the box version!  These are light and flaky with just the right amount of sweetness.  I took the "playing around" suggestion and added 1/2 tsp of almond extract and thought it made a big difference, but I've mentioned before how I feel about almond extract!

Make these.  They're a perfect accompaniment to the fresh berries that are abundant this time of year and I can't wait to pair these with some fresh Alabama peaches in the next couple of weeks.  Yum!  Head over the Cathy's site for the recipe.  She's a fellow Birminghamian with a great blog!

1 comment:

  1. Yay - I am so glad that you enjoyed these! Now you've got me totally fixated on adding almond extract the next time I make them (sounds like we share a love for that flavor!). I made a version with peaches and it was great - I wasn't sure if it was a little early for the prime peaches, but the ones I got at Pepper Place last week were sweet and juicy. Yours looks completely gorgeous (hello, ice cream!) Thank you so much for baking along with me this week!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget