Monday, March 15, 2010

Not Really Barefoot Bloggers........Southwestern Turkey Meatloaf


The Barefoot Bloggers made Ina's Individual Meat Loaves last week. I wanted to participate, but I'd been in Lake Tahoe the previous week and let's just say, I may have participated in a little too much apres skiing......if you know what I mean.


Champagne and martini's tend to pack on the lbs. Even if you are working your butt off trying to avoid snowboarders and trees the rest of the time. Just sayin.


So while I wanted to try Ina's recipe, I really needed to lighten things up a bit. The only thing I looked at Ina's recipe for was to consult on proportions.....wet vs. dry ingredients/binders, so I can't say this is actually based on her recipe. I don't want The Contessa mad at me!

I was sooooo happy with this. We all know how dry things made with ground turkey can be but this came out very moist and flavorful with a nice Southwestern flavor without being too spicy. Just right. Hubs and I both loved it and it was even better the next couple of days in sandwiches.

I served this with a creamy parmesan polenta which was just perfect.

If you're looking for a lighter, less caloric meat loaf, give this one a try!






Southwestern Turkey Meatloaf
Serves 6

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup onion, chopped (I used 1/2 large onion)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb spicy chicken sausage
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup whole wheat panko
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp pimenton (smoked paprika)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1 egg white
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Chili Sauce

Preheat oven to 350.

Saute onion in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add in garlic and saute for another minute. Remove from heat and cool.

Combine remaining ingredients except Chili Sauce into a large bowl. Add in cooled onion/garlic mixture. Combine ingredients (using your hands works best). Don't overdo it! I formed mine into two mini loaves so that they would cook quicker but one large loaf would work also.

You can either free form these or use your loaf pans.

Top with Chili Sauce. (You could also use ketchup if you prefer.)

Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches about 165 degrees.
Let cool for a few minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment