Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TWD - Tribute to Katherine Hepburn Brownies

So, I guess Katherine Hepburn made a mean brownie.  Who knew?  

The story goes that a one Ms. Heather Henderson of St. Paul, Minnesota wanted to quit her studies at Bryn Mawr.  Her father managed to get Miss Hepburn, a Bryn Mawr alum and a neighbor, to intervene.  The famous Kate invited both the young woman and her father to her home one afternoon.  At tea, Ms. Henderson got a taste of the legendary brownies as well as of the acctress's view on education.

In her tribute to the actress, Ms. Henderson wrote, "I'll always be grateful to Miss Hepburn for making me stick it out at Bryn Mawr and for giving me these rules to live by:  1.  Never quit; 2.  Be yourself; and 3.  Don't put too much flour in your brownies."

So it seems there are quite a few renditions of this brownie recipe floating around the universe, but this is Dorie's interpretation.



I've got to say....it's a damn good rendition.  These are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  Sorry, Ina, but they're better than yours.  And the recipe actually makes a normal amount....not enough for a small army.  Still love you, Ina.

These are so good, that after tasting a bite, I took my pictures and called my friend Jenny to come get these suckers out of my house.  She's got a house full of testosterone filled boys who don't have to worry about the size of their ass.



I am planning on making another batch of these this weekend for Mr. B.  He's not worried about his ass size either cuz it's perfect!  ;)

The recipe says that these are a gooey brownie and after reading what the other bakers were saying I decided to bake these five minutes longer than directed.  I'm glad I did.  They were still nice and fudgy in the middle but cooked all the way through.

Check out Lisa's blog, Surviving Oz, for the recipe.  Lisa's not an official TWD baker but she designed our new logo, below, so she had the pleasure of picking this weeks recipe and she baked along with us.  Thanks, Lisa, for a fabulous new logo and a delicious pick.


4 comments:

  1. What!!?!?!?! You like these better than Ina's??

    Ok - time for a brownie bake off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed about the boys who don't have to worry about the size of their ass. Ain't that the truth!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were so good, I also had to remove them from the premises otherwise I could have eaten all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said before and I will repeat here:

    best.brownies.ever. period .

    ReplyDelete