Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TWD - Raspberry Blanc-Manger (Blah-mahn-jhay)

It is better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all.  Or something like that, right?

Don't let that pretty picture fool you, people.  I'm a failure.



So, last week I didn't even try the assignment and this week mangled the manger.  Which is the bigger evil?

This beast would not set up.  I followed the directions.  I think.  I'm not totally sure.  I may or may not have screwed up the gelatin.  It called for 1/4 ounce.  I had one box containing four packets of gelatin.  The box said it contained a total weight of 1 ounce.  In my mind that meant that each packet was 1/4 ounce.  So I dumped in a whole packet and added the three tablespoons of water and let it sit for two minutes.  Then I had this big glob that didn't look right, so I re-read the package.  It said that a serving was 1/4 ounce and that the package contained 16 servings.  Ruh-roh.  So I re-did that step and just added 1/4 of one of the packets.  It looked better so I thought I was fine and finished the recipe.

Waited four hours and unmolded it.  It was the consistency of whipped cream.  That's not right, right??

I put it back into the fridge and waited until the next morning.  Still runny.  Damn. 

 

I did taste it, however.  The flavor was fine, but I didn't like the texture at all.  I must not have ground my almonds fine enough because it was really grainy.  So, it seems that I found more than one way to ruin a blanc-manger.  Fabulous.

For a much better representation, be sure to check out the other TWD bakers.  The much more talented TWD bakers.  Not me.

Thanks to Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy for this week's pick.  Head over to her site to see a beautiful Blanc-Manger.

And if you have any suggestions for me, please share them.  I'd love to know what I did wrong.  I'd really like to try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment