Friday, July 17, 2009

Random

Five things I'm really happy about this week!


1.  49 days until kickoff!!!  My Buckeyes kick off at noon on Saturday, Sept 5 at home vs. Navy.  That's just 7 weeks from today.  Or 1176 hours.  70560 minutes.  Start counting down.

2.  This Washingon Post article about the most hideous shoe every made.


As the economy boomed, Crocs became a huge seller. But now cash-strapped consumers have decided they don't need a second pair.



3.  Word Games.  I'm addicted.  It started when I downloaded Bookworm, then I found Pathwords on Facebook and THEN I downloaded Word Warp on my iPhone.  Yes, there is an app for that!  I think there's an app for just about any addiction you may have.  

4.  Set your DVR's people.  The season premiers of Food Network's Barefoot Contessa (Saturday, 1:30pm EST), Ace of Cakes (Sunday, 10:00pm EST) are both this weekend.  

5.  You must make this.  It has to be the world's easiest appetizer.  I've made this three times for three different dinners and everyone has loved it.  It's another great recipe from Bottega Favorita.



Baked Feta 
adapted from Bottega Favorita by Frank Stitt

2 cups Marinara sauce (either make your own or just use your favorite jarred Marinara.  Mine happens to be Rao's Arrabiata Sauce)
1 cup crumbled Feta (I prefer the kind that's still in the block form and I crumble myself)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of cayenne if desired
A few basil leaves

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Spoon the marinara into a medium gratin dish (approximately 8 inches long) or divide it among four individual gratin dishes or ramekins.  Scatter the cheese over the center.

Bake until the sauce is bubbling hot.  8 to 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with the cayenne and tear the basil leaves on top.

I've served this with focaccia, baked pita slices, and sliced baguette slices that I've baked and rubbed with garlic.  All work great.  Pick your favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment