Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Supper


I don't know about your house, but Sundays at our house are pretty laid back.   Mr. B almost always gets up first and walks the ever demanding King Raf and I usually come stumbling out around 8:30.

We just kind of hang....he reads the paper and I zone out on the internet.  Since Mr. B leaves on Sunday afternoons to head back North, I either make a big, late breakfast or an an early, uncomplicated dinner.  Always something easy and chill.

Today I went the early dinner route.  On one of my many plane rides a couple of weeks ago, I came across this Jamie Oliver recipe in delicious magazine that totally sounded like something the mister and I would love.  I pictured eating this on either a Friday night when he got home with some tasty cheeses and a bottle of Rioja or a pre-flight Sunday snack.




Since the weather in 'Bama today was effin F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C., I plated this up, grabbed a couple of forks and we headed out on the back porch.

Leave it to Jamie O. to put together something this delicious and simple.  It just doesn't get any easier.



It's five ingredients, people.  Anyone can do this.  I actually toned the heat factor of this down because I thought Miss C would be back from Auburn in time to have some and we all know she doesn't like heat, but this would be even better with a little more kick.


Here's the recipe:

Prawns and Chorizo
Jamie Oliver as published in delicious magazine

The main ingredients here couldn't be further apart; chorizo is made from pork, prawns come from the sea, yet when you put them together it's absolute genius.

3 chorizo sausages sliced 1 inch thick on an angle (I used a combination of chorizo and sweet italian sausages)
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
400g large green prawns, peeled (tails left intact), deveined  (I used 12 ct. large shrimp)
1 lemon, halved
1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves

Get a large chargrill pan or frypan nice and hot over medium heat.  Toss in the sliced chorizo.  As the oil from the sausage spreads around the pan, add the sliced garlic.  When the garlic begins to color after 2-3 minutes, add the prawns and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes.  When prawns have turned pink and start to brown, squeeze over the juice of 1 lemon half, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then scatter over the parsley leaves.

Either put the pan straight onto the table and let everyone tuck in, or transfer the prawns and chorizo to a large plate.  Serve them with the other lemon half for squeezing over, and some hunks of bread to mop up the lovely juices.


I have to say that the lemon juice is what really brings this dish to another level.  That little spark of "fresh" is amazing.

You need to make this one.

1 comment: