Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie - Baking with Julia......White Loaves


Tuesdays with Dorie is back!  Well, actually, I'm back participating with TWD.  They never went anywhere.  I kind of petered out of the group near the end of the book.  The rest of the dedicated bakers finished the book a few months ago and now we're off on a new adventure.  We will all now be blogging the recipes from Dorie's book, Baking with Julia.  Get the book and bake along with us!

The first recipe chosen was White Loaves which I have to admit caused me a bit of anxiety.  Yeast and I are not friends and my past attempts at bread baking were massive failures.  Not the case with this recipe and I frankly have no idea why these came out so good.  But they were.  Really.  Good!



I even got fancy and made one of the loaves into cinnamon bread.  (Can someone explain to me why there were these huge gaps where the cinnamon and butter went??)


It made a delicious french toast!

Visit Jule's blog, Someone's in the Kitchen, for the complete recipe!

10 comments:

  1. I don't know why you had gaps like that, but the bread looks great. And the French toast...fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing! I don't know about the gaps either I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That loaf is really fantastic looking! And French toast - excellent idea! I think the gaps may be caused by those sections of the dough not being able to stick together because of the butter and cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That French Toast looks amazing. I'll have to bake more bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guessing you had dry spots from the filling/ rolling. I usually sprinkle a little water on top of my filling to help the dough adhere - also, rolling too loosely can have an impact.
    But, it looks like yeast and you have at least formed a tentative friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I love that you made french toast with the bread! It looks so amazingly good! I will have to try baking mine again with some new yeast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so having french toast for breakfast this weekend. Your loaves look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, french toast sounds really good right about now. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting that you had such good luck with your bread! This was a fun recipe to kick off the new group.

    ReplyDelete