Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tomato Salad with Gorgonzola, Onion and Oregano



As soon as summer tomatoes start showing up at the farmer's stands, my heart starts to beat a little faster!  I l.o.v.e. tomatoes.  I'm told as a child I would sit in my dad's (extremely weedy) garden and eat them straight off the vine.....dirt and all.  I'd eat so many I'd eventually develop a reaction in the form of canker sores covering almost the entire interior of my mouth.  My tongue would swell to about twice it's size and I wouldn't be able to eat much of anything for days.  Nice, right?  You'd think it would have deterred me from future tomato binges.  Not so much.  I've been known to be a tad stubborn.  As soon as it would clear up, I'd be right back in the garden!

Fortunately, I outgrew it, or maybe I just learned moderation (which does not apply to wine, however!).  As I've mentioned before, hub's favorite salad is tomatoes and mozzarella, but occasionally I like to mix it up a bit, so the other night I threw this together.  So simple, fresh and delicious.  Sliced tomatoes, your favorite blue cheese (I had gorgonzola on hand), thinly sliced red onions, and freshly chopped oregano (I have an abundance of greek oregano in the herb garden).  Mix together a simple vinaigrette of equal parts white wine vinegar and olive oil along with a teaspoon of dijon mustard and some salt and pepper to taste.  Drizzle the vinaigrette over the tomatoes and let it sit for about 15 minutes for the flavors to meld and then dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment