Thursday, November 27, 2008

Fabulous Salad

I've been obsessed with reading other peoples blogs lately (there is some serious undiscovered talent out there) so I was perusing some the other day is search of some inspiration.  I was having friends for dinner and needed a salad and Cathy at Noble Pig solved my problem with Mixed Greens Salad with Pears, Goat Cheese and Fig Vinaigrette.

Cathy's pictures are far superior to anything I would post here, so click on the link above if you want some great pics.

Here's the recipe:

Mixed Greens Salad with Pears, Goat Cheese and Fig Vinaigrette
Adapted from Cooking Light

6 cups mixed salad greens
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced, cored Bosc pear
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
5 dried Mission figs, stemmed and coarsely chopped
6 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, crushed (I minced them)
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt

Combine the balsamic vinegar and dried Mission figs (stemmed and chopped) in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes.

Combine the fig mixture, water and fresh lemon juice in a blender or use your immersion blender (I used my food processor.....my blender was not pureeing it as smoothly as I wanted) and process until smooth

In a small bowl, (or use a mason jar so you can just shake it up) add the blended fig mixture with shallots, fresh thyme, crushed garlic, extra-virgin olive oil and Kosher salt.  Stir or shake well to combine.  (I just put everything into the food processor to combine)

Thinly slice your Bosc pear, leaving the skin on.  Place 1 cup greens on each of six plates; topping each serving with 1/4 cup pear and t teaspoons goat cheese.  Drizzle vinaigrette over each serving.

This was D.E.L.I.S.H.  The combination of the pear, goat cheese and the sweet fig vinaigrette was pure bliss.  The next time you need a great salad...this is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment